| CSCS | FAQ's |

Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card is the industry's biggest scheme that covers all the trades, and supervisors and managers.

Most contractors and clients now demand that operatives on their site are sufficiently capable to carry out their work. CSCS aims to register every competent construction operative within the UK not currently on a skills registration scheme.

Operatives will receive a registration card as evidence that they possess the relevant skills and qualifications, and have undergone Health and Safety awareness training or testing.

Visit the CSCS website for more information.

To book a H&S test 0344 994 4488 or you can book on-line here.

If you have at least 16 people taking the test at one time, you can arrange for the mobile testing unit to be brought to a location of your choice (as long as itís large enough for the vehicle to gain access) by calling the Corporate Health and Safety Test Booking line on 0161 868 9255. Please note that this currently costs £30 per person compared to £17.50, but the savings on travel costs and downtime may be worth it.

If you have electricians that need to take the ECA H&S test, revision materials are available on the JIB website. The nearest test centre is in Wakefield, but if you have a group of employees that need to take the test we can arrange for them to come to you! Please contact Sam for further information Ė tests cost £35per person and preferably a minimum of 10 people are required to be tested locally.

The following shows the appropriate level of card for the occupation (Please note this is not an exhaustive list)

Please ensure that you check that you are taking the right level of test for the card you are applying for. For example, you need to take the new Managerial and Professional Test (MAP) if you are applying for a black contracts manager or project manager card, also if you need to renew your card. Also there are some occupations that require you to take the working at heights test. To check the level of test and occupations:
- Click here for craft and operative
- Click here for Technical/Professional and Managerial
- Click here for Construction Related Occupation

Click here for information about the affiliated cards available .

To check a CSCS card is valid you can use the Phoenix online system. (CPCS cards can also be checked using this website). You must be a registered user, so if you donít already have a password you must request access.

You need the individual's surname and registration number or NI number.
Please note: at the moment there is no way of checking affiliated cards using this system, e.g. CISRS, ECS, JIB, but CSCS are currently looking at ways to develop this.

If any of your staff need to achieve the CISRS Supervisors card Ė there is a specific 5 day course that they need to attend. For further details of providers available to deliver this course, please contact Sam Farmery or view the Training section of this website.

If you want to ensure you are kept up to date with all the latest CSCS news, then sign up for an e-newsletter here.